The European Big Data Value Forum (EBDVF) is the flagship event of the European Big Data and Data-Driven AI Research and Innovation community organised by the BDVA and the European Commission (DG CNECT). The EBDVF brings together industry professionals, business developers, researchers and policy-makers from all over Europe and other regions of the world to advance policy actions in the areas of Data and AI.
EBDVF 2021 theme is “Digital Transformation powered by Data and AI”. We approach the theme from the sectorial and cross-sectorial angle. The programme tracks are structured to cover strategic aspects of technological challenges and impact, discussing the topics of adoption of industrial and trustworthy AI, Data Spaces, Data-Driven business models, standardization, societal impacts and many others. Join the event to get the best insight to European Big Data and AI!
The physical part of the EBDVF 2021 will be hosted in Ljubljana. The local collaborators of EBDVF 2021 are DIH Slovenia, ICT Association of Slovenia (Chamber of Commerce and Industry Slovenia), Jožef Stefan Institute (JSI) and the University of Ljubljana. The central day in the Slovenian capital will kick-start the event by inviting high-level political and industry keynotes to share their views on data and data-driven AI-related policy developments.
All the EBDVF 2021 sessions will be streamed online. The event will merge the online portions to the sessions held in Ljubljana, bringing both, live and physical venues, to the disposal of the event attendees and speakers.
Next Generation Computing Infrastructure to support Data Spaces
Objectives: The aim of this session is to bring together leading initiatives, experts, and researchers to discuss and explore technology roadmaps on cloud and edge with the strategic aim to provide recommendations to support the common European data spaces in relevant areas.
Session Description: Europe is moving toward connecting the existing cloud services to create a federated cloud infrastructure. To ensure data sovereignty and interoperability are critical for the next generation cloud infrastructure. This session will explore the major developments in cloud and edge computing, including open source approaches. Discussions will be held on the needs and requirements of data spaces from the computing infrastructure point of view and how Cloud (and edge) federation will act as an enabler for a powerful European computing infrastructure.
- Welcome and Introduction
- Dr. Giovanni Rimassa, HUB4CLOUD Coordinator, CIO Martel Innovate
- Panel Discussion: Challenges and future aspects of cloud and edge infrastructure to support European data spaces
- Andreas Weiss, Head of Digital Business Models, eco Association of the Internet Industry Director EuroCloud Germany
- Roman Dumitru, Senior Research Scientist SINTEF
- Ulrich Ahle, CEO FIWARE Foundation, Member of the Board IDSA
- Enric Pages, Atos, New Media and Edge Software Technologies (NMEST) Unit
- Eduardo Quinones, Barcelona Supercomputing Center, representing CLASS Project
- Wrap-Up and Future Outlook
A Green Cloud-Edge transition for a sustainable Digital Transformation
Date and Time: 2 Dec 2021, 13:30 – 15:00 CET
Objectives: Aim of this session is to bring together leading initiatives, experts, and researchers in the area of energy efficiency and digital innovation to discuss challenges and opportunities related to the green and secure digital transformation of European industry.
Session Description: Edge computing is one of the key enablers for digital transformation in Europe. To ensure that digital transformation is sustainable, it is key that edge and linked technologies target energy efficiency and carbon-free approaches. In this session, HORIZON CLOUD brings together leading initiatives, experts, and researchers that are paving the way for new, secure, and sustainable data-driven solutions empowering digital transformation. We will discuss opportunities and challenges in realising energy efficient edge computing and elaborate on how the green and secure digital transformation can be achieved through convergence and standardisation efforts by projects, organisations, and other entities possessing the right technical know-how, experiences, and commitment.
- Welcome and Introduction H-CLOUD
- Dr. Federico M. Facca, H-CLOUD Coordinator, CTO Martel Innovate
- Green ICT & Edge Computing Challenges and Opportunities: Findings from the H-CLOUD Landscape Analysis
- Mark Dietrich, H-CLOUD, EGI Foundation
- Panel Discussion: Shaping the Green and Secure Digital Transformation of Europe
- Dr. Bernhard Peischl, Innovation Manager, Research & Technology Development – Subgroup lead TF7 SG11 Automotive
- Simon Hinterholzer, Researcher, Borderstep Institute
- Dr. Monique Calisti, President Digital for Planet, CEO Martel Innovate
- Marta Munoz, IDC Europe, Technology for Sustainability and Social Impact Practice Lead
- Prof. Babak Falsafi, Professor in the School of Computer and Communication Sciences at EPFL and founding director of EcoCloud
- Wrap-Up and Future Outlook