HORIZON CLOUD Technical Community Event: Unleashing the Potential of Cloud, Fog, and Edge Computing in Europe
On 29 September 2021, 14:00 – 16:00 pm CEST, HORIZON CLOUD is organising a Technical Community Event on “Unleashing the Potential of Cloud, Fog, and Edge Computing in Europe“.
During this event, Cloud Computing projects funded under the European Union’s Horizon 2020 Research and Innovation Programme as well as other stakeholders from the Cloud ecosystem will present technical outcomes of their Cloud projects. Topics discussed during the community event range from Cloud modelling and optimisation to edge computing, unikernels, DevOps practices, and green Cloud. Join us!
Connectedness has grown up in the last year with the increased usage of smart devices now integrated in citizens daily life. This IoT digital mesh has split traditional edge approaches into three different concepts: near, far and data centre edges. The situation is highlighting, even more, the need of improved control planes to manage several different resources offloading in multiple ways, and not only on an edge to cloud bidirectional approach. In this context, PLEDGER provides the first steps for an intelligent resource management, benchmarking infrastructure providers and taking deployment decisions based not only on availability. During this workshop PLEDGER will present its approach for solving current and future challenges.
With IoT now present at our homes, work and daily routines, the number of connected devices and IoT generated data are rapidly exploding putting higher demands on the cloud services especially for mission critical applications. Fog computing fills the gap between the edge and the datacenter, broadening the range of options as to where to execute analytics, further reducing the amount of data transferred across networks and facilitating collaboration between edge devices. RAINBOW aspires to enable fog computing to reach its true potential by providing the deployment, orchestration, network fabric and data management for scalable and secure edge applications. In this workshop RAINBOW will demonstrate the advanced features included in the first release of its fog computing platform and present an inside view on its approach for pushing “intelligence” to the network edge with in-place data management and fog analytics services.
The HORIZON CLOUD Technical Community Event will be an opportunity to:
- Find out what is currently going on in the European Cloud Research & Innovation Scene
- Meet Cloud Computing experts working in the field of Cloud Research & Innovation projects in Europe
14:00 – 14:10 Welcome – Introduction to the concept
- Dr. Panagiotis Gouvas, R&D Director of UBITECH and technical coordinator of RAINBOW
- Lara Lopez Muñiz, Coordinator of the PLEDGER project, ATOS Research & Innovation Spain
14:10 – 14:25 Resource optimisation on the edge in PLEDGER: progress and challenges
- Francesco Iadanza, PLEDGER project/ENGINEERING
14:25 – 14:40 Edge-to-Cloud IIoT data ingestion
- Ioannis Sarris, PLEDGER project/INTRASOFT International
14:40 – 14:55 Discovering, managing and meta-orchestrating resources
- Antonio Castillo Nieto, PLEDGER project/ATOS Research & Innovation Spain
14:55 – 15:10 Cross-domain network slicing and orchestration
- Estela Carmona, PLEDGER project/i2CAT
15:10 – 15:25 Core functionalities of the RAINBOW fog computing platform
- Dr. Panagiotis Gouvas, R&D Director of UBITECH & Technical Coordinator of the RAINBOW project
15:25 – 15:40 Fogify data analytics
- Moysis Symeonidis, Research & PhD candidate at the Laboratory of Internet Computing, University of Cyprus
15:40 – 16:00 Q&A session