From 29 November to 3 December the HORIZON CLOUD initiative, with its two Coordination and Support Action (CSA) projects HUB4CLOUD and H-CLOUD, participated in the European Big Data Value Forum (EBDVF). EBDVF is the flagship event of the European Big Data and Data-Driven AI Research and Innovation community organised by the BDVA and the European Commission (DG CNECT). The EBDVF brings together industry professionals, business developers, researchers and policy-makers from all over Europe and other regions of the world to advance policy actions in the areas of Data and AI.
HUB4CLOUD held a session entitled “Next Generation Computing Infrastructure to Support Data Spaces” on 2 Dec 2021, 10:30 – 12:00 CET. Aim of this session, which counted 166 registered participants, was to bring together leading initiatives, experts, and researchers to discuss and explore technology roadmaps on cloud and edge with the strategic aim to provide recommendations to support the common European data spaces in relevant areas. After an introduction by HUB4CLOUD coordinator Dr Giovanni Rimassa, a selected group consisting of the following experts discussed the challenges and future aspects of cloud and edge infrastructure to support European data spaces:
- Andreas Weiss, Head of Digital Business Models, eco Association of the Internet Industry Director EuroCloud Germany
- Dumitru Roman, Senior Research Scientist, SINTEF
- Ulrich Ahle, CEO FIWARE Foundation, Member of the Board IDSA
- Enric Pages, New Media and Edge Software Technologies (NMEST) Unit, Atos
- Eduardo Quinones, Senior Researcher, Barcelona Supercomputing Center
In case you missed the HUB4CLOUD session, you can watch it here.
In addition, H-CLOUD organised an EDBVF session on 2 Dec 2021, 13:30 – 15:00 CET, entitled “A Green Cloud-Edge transition for a sustainable Digital Transformation”. Aim of this session, which counted 169 registered attendees, was to bring together leading initiatives, experts, and researchers in the area of energy efficiency and digital innovation to discuss challenges and opportunities related to the green and secure digital transformation of European industry. The session kicked-off with a general introduction by H-CLOUD coordinator Dr Federico M. Facca and a presentation by H-CLOUD partner Mark Dietrich from EGI Foundation on Green ICT & Edge Computing Challenges and Opportunities identified by the H-CLOUD Landscape Analysis. Hereafter, a selected panel with the following experts discussed how to shape the green and secure digital transformation of Europe:
- Dr Bernhard Peischl, Innovation Manager, Research & Technology Development – Subgroup lead TF7 SG11 Automotive
- Simon Hinterholzer, Researcher, Borderstep Institute
- Dr Monique Calisti, President Digital for Planet, CEO Martel Innovate
- Marta Munoz, Technology for Sustainability and Social Impact Practice Lead, IDC Europe
- Prof Babak Falsafi, Professor in the School of Computer and Communication Sciences, Founding Director EcoCloud, EPFL
You can watch the recording of the session here.