On 15 June 2021, HORIZON CLOUD organised a Community Event on Open Source Initiatives for Cloud Computing. During this event, the three Open Source Cloud Initiatives Eclipse Foundation, OpenNebula, and Sovereign Cloud Stack presented their work and engaged with 43 attendees from the European Cloud Community.
The virtual event kicked-off with a presentation held by H-CLOUD coordinator and Martel Innovate CTO Dr Federico M. Facca focusing on findings from the H-CLOUD landscape analysis regarding the Cloud-Edge-Continuum. Hereafter, Brian King, Cloud DevTools Community Manager at Eclipse Foundation, presented the future of Software Development. In his talk, Brian, amongst others, introduced the Eclipse Cloud DevTools Community and its unique approach and he gave insights into the activities of the Eclipse Cloud Development Tools working groups.
The event then continued with a presentation held by Dr Alberto P. Marti, VP of Open Source Community Relations, and Dr Marco Mancini, Cloud Technical Evangelist, from OpenNebula. In their presentation, Alberto and Marco explained, amongst others, how OpenNebula can be turned into a Cloud-Edge Orchestration Platform and how it supports the achievements of Digital EU 2030 targets.
Finally, Dr Kurt Garloff, Co-Leader / CTO Sovereign Cloud Stack at Open Source Business Alliance, presented insights into Sovereign Cloud Stack (SCS): A fully open federated cloud/container stack for GAIA-X. In his presentation, Kurt explained, amongst others, the status quo and vision of Sovereign Cloud Stack and its value to the GAIA-X ecosystem. The event ended with an interactive Q&A Session between speakers and attendees. In case you missed the event, you can watch the recording here below. The presentations of the speakers can be found at the end of this article together with the entire recording.
The HORIZON CLOUD Community Event on Open Source Initiatives for Cloud Computing was part of a series of Technical Community Events organised by HORIZON CLOUD for the European Cloud Community. Aim of the event series is to foster synergies and collaboration between European Cloud Projects. The next Community Event is planned for September 2021. European Cloud projects have the chance to propose the topic for the next Community Event via the HORIZON CLOUD Forum until 30 June 2020.
- Dr Federico M. Facca, H-CLOUD Coordinator, CTO Martel Innovate (PDF available here)
- The Future of Software Development is Happening Now (PDF available here )
– Brian King – Cloud DevTools Community Manager, Eclipse Foundation
– Clark Roundy – Strategic Marketing Advisor, Eclipse Foundation
- Turning OpenNebula into a Cloud-Edge Orchestration Platform (PDF available here)
– Dr Alberto P. Marti, VP of Open Source Community Relations, OpenNebula
– Dr Marco Mancini, Cloud Technical Evangelist, OpenNebula
- Sovereign Cloud Stack (SCS): A fully open federated cloud/container stack for Gaia-X (PDF available here)
– Dr Kurt Garloff, Co-Leader / CTO Sovereign Cloud Stack at Open Source Business Alliance